Sunday, November 13

Celebrity, cont

Right. So, Al Gore's daughter.

Northwestern is a little unique in that we do "panel interviews" for medical school. Three applicants, three interviewers. One tiny room. I was there with the two faculty interviewers, skimming over the demographics of the kids we'd be meeting in a few minutes. If we'd seen "Clinton," maybe, I think we'd have given the name a second glance. But "Gore" isn't a terribly eye-catching name. Nobody thought anything of it.

Then the door opens. It's one of the admissions people.

"Oh good, you haven't started yet!" She sighs in relief. "I just wanted to let you know, you'll be interviewing Al Gore's daughter. Don't make a big deal out of it! She hasn't mentioned anything, and is even trying to hide her name tag somewhat. Just don't bring it up unless she does!"

Um, right. Like I was even aware that was supposed to be Al Gore's daughter, until you brought it up.

She was very well spoken, having graduated college several years ago. Not surprisingly, she did rather excellently answering all our on-the-fly questions. My only reservation was, why medicine? I wasn't quite convinced, nor was I quite convinced that her blue-bloodedness would fit in well here.

Like that all really matters. If you were Northwestern, would you really decline to accept Al Gore's daughter??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home