From now to eternity
I am now officially a doctor of medicine.
Today marked my first real "doctor" day. Not that I had to see any patients, thank god. I spent 11 hours being trained in advanced trauma life support with all the new surgical and emerg interns. While most of it was boring rehash (airway, breathing, circulation, zzzz), being there in itself was definitely a jump-start to things. Especially the part where we cut holes and put tubes and drains into piglets for practice. Poor pigs. At least they were sedated out of their minds and promptly put out of their misery when we were done.
And no, I do not have hot co-interns like on Grey's Anatomy. I wish. I can also guarantee that there will be no drunken sex with my boss the night before my first day. Guaranteeeeeed.
............
Albany itself is pretty small and sleepy. Especially, you know, in comparison to HK, TO, and CHI. The best things are the low cost of living (my rent here is $400 less than in Chicago), the trees EVERYWHERE, the laid-back atmosphere (I just bought alcohol with a student ID and a temp drivers license), and the fact that driving anywhere takes at most 20 minutes. The worst things are the lack of nightlife/entertainment, the bugs and spiders that keep getting into my (first floor) apartment, the lack of polish/finish you find in cosmopolitan areas, and the fact that to get anywhere, you have to drive 15-20 minutes.
Things are okay so far. I'm still waiting on the bulk of my belongings which are currently riding a big truck up and down the east coast. Sleeping on the floor is tolerable, but the aforementioned creepy crawlies keep me too worried to get a real good night's sleep. I don't mind killing them, but having one crawl into my sleeping bag, or worse, my mouth, is too much. Stuff like that doesn't bother me if I go out into the woods of my own volition, but when I'm in a civilized space I expect a pest-free environment. I'm also waiting on my new car (a Prius! I'm a tree-hugging hippie!!) which should get here in the next few days. I'm getting used to the rental but the thing that kills me is the daily $25.50 underage driver fee. I'm in charge of saving people's frigging lives, and I can't even rent a car like a normal person *sigh*. The kitchen here is tiny and lacking in counter space, and that makes me sad...but I think once I settle in this place'll feel more like home.
...........
In other news...talked to A for a while on the phone today to catch up and talk about her upcoming wedding. I'm really excited about that, just because she and W are finally getting married and I'll get to see everyone again! It's great that at least two of my friends have something happy to celebrate, considering how almost everyone else broke off long-term relationships in the past year or so. It's almost like now that our professional lives are blossoming, our personal lives have taken a hit. Sad, but true.
I also found out from A that N just got engaged a few months ago to Y, whom I'm convinced is my less-pretty bastard step-sibling from an alternate universe that happened to stumble into this one a few years back to ruin my life. Well, at least that's how I thought of her then. Now I'm just indifferent...I definitely still think of her as less-preetty than me, but my life is far from ruined with N out of it! :) I'm definitely happier with the adventures I've had in the past couple of years, both on my own and with others. I think part of it is just the shock of hearing that an ex is getting married. It's disconcerting since you were once with that person, and now they are just moving straight along into the next step of relationship commitment while leaving you behind. I felt a little like this too when B got engaged. No doubt when E or S go down that road I'll feel a little weird as well, but I guess I'll find out when that happens.
............
Right. So we'll see how this next chapter of my life goes. If anything, I expect a lot of the unexpected...that much I know for sure. And now, back to studying the trauma stuff...
PS. When I'm less of a lazy bum, I promise I'll put pictures up. If not actually here, then I'll link it.
Today marked my first real "doctor" day. Not that I had to see any patients, thank god. I spent 11 hours being trained in advanced trauma life support with all the new surgical and emerg interns. While most of it was boring rehash (airway, breathing, circulation, zzzz), being there in itself was definitely a jump-start to things. Especially the part where we cut holes and put tubes and drains into piglets for practice. Poor pigs. At least they were sedated out of their minds and promptly put out of their misery when we were done.
And no, I do not have hot co-interns like on Grey's Anatomy. I wish. I can also guarantee that there will be no drunken sex with my boss the night before my first day. Guaranteeeeeed.
............
Albany itself is pretty small and sleepy. Especially, you know, in comparison to HK, TO, and CHI. The best things are the low cost of living (my rent here is $400 less than in Chicago), the trees EVERYWHERE, the laid-back atmosphere (I just bought alcohol with a student ID and a temp drivers license), and the fact that driving anywhere takes at most 20 minutes. The worst things are the lack of nightlife/entertainment, the bugs and spiders that keep getting into my (first floor) apartment, the lack of polish/finish you find in cosmopolitan areas, and the fact that to get anywhere, you have to drive 15-20 minutes.
Things are okay so far. I'm still waiting on the bulk of my belongings which are currently riding a big truck up and down the east coast. Sleeping on the floor is tolerable, but the aforementioned creepy crawlies keep me too worried to get a real good night's sleep. I don't mind killing them, but having one crawl into my sleeping bag, or worse, my mouth, is too much. Stuff like that doesn't bother me if I go out into the woods of my own volition, but when I'm in a civilized space I expect a pest-free environment. I'm also waiting on my new car (a Prius! I'm a tree-hugging hippie!!) which should get here in the next few days. I'm getting used to the rental but the thing that kills me is the daily $25.50 underage driver fee. I'm in charge of saving people's frigging lives, and I can't even rent a car like a normal person *sigh*. The kitchen here is tiny and lacking in counter space, and that makes me sad...but I think once I settle in this place'll feel more like home.
...........
In other news...talked to A for a while on the phone today to catch up and talk about her upcoming wedding. I'm really excited about that, just because she and W are finally getting married and I'll get to see everyone again! It's great that at least two of my friends have something happy to celebrate, considering how almost everyone else broke off long-term relationships in the past year or so. It's almost like now that our professional lives are blossoming, our personal lives have taken a hit. Sad, but true.
I also found out from A that N just got engaged a few months ago to Y, whom I'm convinced is my less-pretty bastard step-sibling from an alternate universe that happened to stumble into this one a few years back to ruin my life. Well, at least that's how I thought of her then. Now I'm just indifferent...I definitely still think of her as less-preetty than me, but my life is far from ruined with N out of it! :) I'm definitely happier with the adventures I've had in the past couple of years, both on my own and with others. I think part of it is just the shock of hearing that an ex is getting married. It's disconcerting since you were once with that person, and now they are just moving straight along into the next step of relationship commitment while leaving you behind. I felt a little like this too when B got engaged. No doubt when E or S go down that road I'll feel a little weird as well, but I guess I'll find out when that happens.
............
Right. So we'll see how this next chapter of my life goes. If anything, I expect a lot of the unexpected...that much I know for sure. And now, back to studying the trauma stuff...
PS. When I'm less of a lazy bum, I promise I'll put pictures up. If not actually here, then I'll link it.

2 Comments:
Did you know that W got married to V? And that 7 8 9? Don't get coffee on your coat... Residents who do look silly.
H
Post a Comment
<< Home