Sunday, April 29

Bloom in progress


So, about 18 months back I had this great burst of artistic ambition that was fueled by not being chained to the hospital 24/7. One of many projects on the blocks was a recreation of a gerbera daisy photographed by a Hungarian university student (see Lost in Pixels link to the right). Pretty!


Usually I start all my paintings as a free-for-all, just slap paint on canvas and go kind of thing. But since I actually had a template image, pencil sketching to transfer the image was in order. I was not as fanatical as to line-trace the photo image onto a transparancy and then project that line drawing onto the canvas. That would have just been a little too square! :)


Blocked the daisy with yellows, filled in empty space.


Orange layer.


Um, between the oranges and being 95% done, I got a little caught up in the paints (look at all the coooolooours!) that I kind of forgot to take more progress pics. That, and I didn't want to get oil paint all over my camera.


Just about done. I know it looks practically finished, but I added more depth of colour to the stem and far petals, and cleaned up all my edges after this stage. It looks less flat too in real life, not under fluorescent lighting. Yay!

Unfortunately, I still haven't hung up the damn thing. It's sitting on the floor, mocking my inability to commit to my current apartment after 11 months of living here. *sigh*

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, you're back online! Missed ya all year. What happened, how did it go? Enjoying life and the ER... wait I sec, are those two words interchangeable now? Anyway, what a beautiful painting. Your painting looks more real and vibrant than the photo, amazingly.
- Michelmo

7:58 p.m., May 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home